Friday 26 March 2010

THE THREE C'S AND "WHAT KATY DID."
the KatyI 'm talking about was the lively girl, tomboy heroine from a favourite childhood book of mine. sorry blokey blokes - you probably didn't read it, but those of us who were girl children might remember? Katy was feisty and fun, full of energy, often awkward and in a pickle and with a quick temper but warm heart. numerous siblings, aunties .... and then a cousin who arrived at the family home, sick, saintly and dying. or gently declining? I believe she was called Cousin Helen: and I refuse to check my references (or to be corrected) as this is how I am happy to remember it.
Cousing Helen had some mysterious ailment from which she was gradually fading away; she lay on a day couch. in a lovely room next to an open window, fresh flowers by her bed each day, smiling sweetly, welcoming in the various boisterous children, dispensing kindness, words of guidance, kissing the hurts better, patching up disagreements .... and never once complained of pain, discomfort, loss. This was my childhood myth of illness, and I knew that if ever I had to face it my life, this is who I would be; pale and interesting, angelically embroidering samplers with little home truths on them, to give as gifts, reading the classics, and gathering loved ones around me, singing and playing piano until everyone quietly tiptoed on as I gently drifted off to sleep. Probably after an occassional dose of some lollipop-flavoured laudinum and a dash of brandy, dispensed by a kindly old doctor who delivered me at birth.

What a load of old bollocks. I was convinced that something magical happened once you were ill .... there was pain, yes, but somehow angels surrounded you in a bubble of oblivion, so that pain became remote, you floated gently, poignantly in a mist of tranquil detachment from the world of ordinary trivia, and a sort of wisdom and peacefulness descended on you.

I recently looked up books about illness, for children, to help them understand a parents experience through chronic illness. Haven't looked at much of the content yet but sure hope it's a little more real than the images I grew up with. If not I shall write one: and call it "The year My Mum was Crumpled, Collapsed and Crabby." ( a child's eye view of Hepatitis C)

I believe there was also a sequel to Katy's story: she fell of a swing and damaged her legs and spine and became, herself, confined to the couch for a year. At first she was cross and crotchety...... but with Cousin Helens inspiration, also transformed into the angel on the sick bed.

As for me .... with various health problems running up to the Hep C diagnoses, I have now been largely inactive and unwell for three years, and pretty much housebound for two. Crumpled, Collapsed and Crabby pretty much describes at least several moments during the average day. I do have moments of ... well, lets not go so far as to say sweetness and light, but of being reasonably pleasant and not unbearable. They may not last ......

Probably lucky for the majority of people in my life that I am living at some distance from previous social circles. They don't have to put up with me. My husband does ... and chooses to. And still enjoys my company and remains calm, level, understanding.

Obviously, in this household, it is the carer and not the patient, who has the saintly disposition.
(thank you darling!) I have often read, from post-treatment heppers, that the disease and experience has made them a better person. I will put my faith in that experience, since that is how they tell it .......
but would like to ask, at what point does this transformation of self-improvement and growth become manifest? I am three months into treatment and no sign of it yet!!

Will certainly let you know, when it shows up, and am willing to share a little of it, too!

meanwhile, I remain collapsed, crumpled and crabby - and I am sure my daughter would agree.
xxx eva

3 comments:

  1. great piece of writing, oh to be aunt helen, as a post tx er, i found the change came after the tx ended! maybe it was just nice not to be crabby anymore!!!
    love taliesin

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Eva for having the courage and passion to put your thoughts down. I love the way you write and it helps me when someone voices realisations I need to hear and acknowledge in myself. I too seem to have carried this belief and to find myself coping less and less well with the side effects of just the virus (let alone treatment) when I 'should' be a living example of some heightened awareness that is supposed to come with illness! God how I wish! It is a disease that seems to rob us of our life. Please keep up with the blog. Your writing, your willingness to be honest and your sense of humour makes me think and cheers me up. Many thanks. Teri xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers..

    ReplyDelete